Version Control in Unity – RTFM

I could probably create an entire RTFM series because of my terrible track record of ‘getting it’ the first time around. I could have sworn I’d read this Unity article about version control, especially considering I’d changed the settings so that the .meta files showed up in my project. Strangely though, I somehow didn’t come to actually commit those .meta files to version control despite the article explicitly stating to do so. Perhaps I’d read some misinformed post somewhere else that said not to.

The realisation came when I decided to clone my repository just to make sure I’d been committing all the files I was supposed to have. I’ve had some misadventures with getting Unity command line builds to work and had given up on my continuous integration aspirations; the consequence being that I never got to the part where I could make the project build from the files submitted to the repo…

…It turns out the repo build was pretty broken.

The primary culprit was all the missing meta files, but there were a few other little tweaks that were required. All fixed now. Unfortunately no one wants to answer my post as to whether or not command line builds are possible using the free version of Unity. At this rate I will have to apply for a 30 day Pro trial to see if I can get it working and thus answer my own forum question.

Advertisements

Random Ramblings Regardling Recent Wangling

Wangle (verb): to bring about, accomplish, or obtain by scheming or underhand methods.

…but to say that’s what I have been doing all week would be rather hyperbolic, unless one were to suggest that I’m trying to cheat time but time will always win. In fact, time probably just toys with us.

I set myself the ambitious goal of trying to get a Continuous Integration build server set up using TeamCity set up so I can auto create builds to give to friends and to make sure that I’m not breaking things along the way.

I suppose it was crazy of me to think this would be straight forward.

I set up TeamCity once before for an iOS only build of my Breezy Bubbles game, more to prove that I could than for being really thorough about the games integrity (it was a quick ‘throw away’ title, so to speak). I don’t remember the process being that painful because it required two steps.

  • Hook it up to my git repo.
  • Create a build step using the XCode build step template which hooked into my project settings.

I was under the optimistic impression that the Unity Runner plugin for TeamCity would afford the same simplicity but alas, that wasn’t the case. I got so far as getting TeamCity pulling my project from my git repo but the build runner was going nowhere fast.

I got the impression that I could sink a week into something like this. Yes, there is command line documentation on how to use Unity’s command like arguments to create a build but I couldn’t help but shake the feeling it was going to be easier said that done. So I did what any cautious developer does and bailed.

I bailed and went back to coding my unit circles (the little circles that are going to represent infantry, tanks, vehicles etc). I also made a unity Inspector element whereby I can edit the unit circle’s size and colour during runtime.

Combined with the billboard-like 3D labels which I ripped off from that Auckland International Airport video, I can represent each unit on the map.

Unfortunately even that is causing a lot of drama. The unit labels and associated text are billboarded so that they always face the camera. That bit’s fine (I found some code for that quite a while ago) but I’m having ‘fun times’ trying to get the text correctly positioned and in front of the label background.

*sigh*

I feel like I’m wasting time making it look pretty but the reality is that what I’m trying to create could be considered the bare necessity to represent a unit on the map. Once I get that done I’ll post a victory screenshot.